Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Cake!

So, I was going to make that awesome-sounding cake recipe, but then I couldn't find guar gum in the store, and I was already a little bit nervous about using fake butter in a recipe that called for that much butter, and in the end I chickened out and bought a mix.

However, the mix ended up being quite tasty! I realized that it was the first layer cake I've ever made, and I think it turned out really well. Even my gluten-eating family members thought it was totally edible and maybe even kinda good. Here's the finished result, complete with "butter"cream frosting (which worked fine with fake butter, probably because a it's hard to go wrong with A POUND of powdered sugar):


Now we get to find out how well it freezes, because I probably could eat the rest of it before it got stale, if I really tried, but it would be a terrible idea for oh so many reasons...

(p.s. The cake mix was Namaste brand. Next time I'm going to try separating the eggs, beating the whites, and folding them in at the end for an airier (hopefully) texture...)

No comments: