Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Job Skills for the Modern Day Workplace

Having come to this position as a temp – and stayed here as a temp, technically, for nearly seven months now – I was never given an actual job description, per se. I was told to dress appropriately and to show up. Now I’ve been here for a while and have taken on a definite role within the department. A lot of that role seems to be about dressing appropriately and showing up, walking around the office with my iPod on, and solving simple computer problems for people who can’t figure them out themselves. But there’s more to it than just that, and since I’ll be leaving soon I thought perhaps I should begin drafting my own job description such as might appear in a future edition of my resumé:

  • mauling envelopes
  • transferring to voicemail
  • making small, circular confetti
  • manually re-entering the same information
  • humoring/ignoring crazy, demanding, incompetent, or just plain irritating people
  • attempting to refuse cheap birthday cake
  • destroying many small forests, or maybe one large one
  • stapling
  • avoiding filing
  • looking busy

Considering all the skills I’ve been developing, I can’t imagine I’ll ever have difficulty finding a job in the future. (Maybe next time I’ll show you my best cover letter, if you haven’t seen it already…..)

No comments: